Beach combing
    Bowling and Archery
    Antique Shows
    Fantasy
    Nature Animals
    Music
    Supernatural

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:05 PM

I've had Bipolar disorder since 2006. This mental illness even though treated with therapy and medication has caused issues for me with trying to find work. I am college educated and in my mid 20s.I have tried using prayer to help me center myself but its still difficult. Trying to Hide this from possible employers and co-workers has been a challenge. Anyone else have a problem like this?

#2 Sunshineinmyface

Sunshineinmyface

Wiki Queen

• Members
  • 10,092 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:34 AM

Yes, I definitely have found that my bipolar II, particularly the depressive episodes have disrupted employment severely. Now I am trying to manage to get some stability with my illness with new Dr and therapy, which I have been working on for decades with success here and there. It seems some times as if I am walking down a dark hall called mental illness treatment with a pen light as the only guidance as to which doors to open and how many more there may be when that one fails. Persistence and medication combined with therapy seems to be the best options available at the present time. I do not tell employers I have a mental illness until I run into problems and then advice the boss and whatever human resources dept is available so I have legal protection should they harass me, not accommodate my treatment or illness (such as concrete objectives and appointments) and keep a record of how I am treated in case I have to sue them, which I have and prevailed. Employers do not often realize there are state and federal laws protecting those with disabilities and they need to make reasonable accommodations for that disability (physical or mental) and despite what people say suing an employer over this if you advise them and request accommodation (perhaps a leave of absence even is required under the family with disabilities act) and keep notes of interactions, meetings and correspondence, they will easily lose and part of the settlement or conclusion of the litigation should include they will not disclose your mental illness and give you a good recommendation, which you insist they write at the time of the conclusion of litigation and to your satisfaction.

#3 natoking

natoking
  • Members
  • 408 posts
  • Interests:Boating, biking, music, conversation, world affairs, politics, love and sex.<br /><br />I am a graphic artist.

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:10 AM

Prayer is good. The answer is in the prayer, I believe. I am doing pretty well but been feeling rather manic lately. Embrace your extraordinary qualities and let the down times pass as they always do. It has taken me a long time to find a combination of meds that keep my vibrancy while keeping me from getting too down. Lifestyle choice also play a big part. Listen to your body and mind. I will say a prayer for you too. I hope that you knowing this will be of some comfort. I think God lives within us and we can find answer through introspection and prayer. I wish the best for you. Bob

#4 winter

winter
  • Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:i like people to send me money.
    I know this will never happen
    but i figured it was worth a try

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:01 PM

Im like you my dear, i find it very hard to find home jobs. In fact it makes me mad that i cannot. I suppose i am lucky with my art i do sell the odd picture.

#5 Armygirl

Armygirl
  • Members
  • 1,236 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:05 AM

Well...I don't tell my prospective employers about my mental illness, but it is always there, at least for now, as I am just finding ways to deal with it..just my opinion, but I don't believe in telling employers or future employers about ones's mental issues...unfortuntately latley I've had to..but that doesn't mean that need's to be the norm..I say do what makes you comfortable, if not look for something different...

ang

#6 winter

winter
  • Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:i like people to send me money.
    I know this will never happen
    but i figured it was worth a try

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:11 PM

then you are lucky army girl that you can keep your illness hidden. The thing is we shouldnt have to should we.

#7 nicolelord2

nicolelord2
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:02 AM

ya..actually I also suffered form bipolar depression. Belive me it is very worst condition that I ever find.

#8 drgnfly

drgnfly
  • Members
  • 901 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Art, Books, Sleeping

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:31 PM

No, we shouldn't have to hide it. But honestly, who would hire us if we didn't?? It's an issue they wouldn't want to knowingly deal with if they could hire someone without. It's not easy to hide once at the job though, at least not for me. I've been at this job for 8 years, and I've been lucky but lately it's all starting to snowball. People with bipolar just don't handle stress very well- at least that's been my experience and what I've read of others.
Hang in there, you'll find something. You don't have to disclose your illness to new employers. How do they find out?
Best of luck,

#9 blue282

blue282
  • Members
  • 60 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Model airplanes, outdoors, motorcycles

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:30 AM

I have also found it very difficult finding and keeping employment with my condition. At my current job, I was hired through an agency that were really supportive and helpful. In the past though I have experience what I would call harassment after disclosing it. I wouldn't disclose it in an application or interview because I believe that it may be looked upon less favourably. It may be ok to be honest about it if you have been at your workplace long term because there are laws against firing someone because of disability, unless you are in a position that has strict health requirments eg police, other emergency services, defence services etc.

#10 fiona

fiona
  • Members
  • 149 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:world music, poetry, all creative arts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:43 AM

Wow this topic hit a chord with me.  I have been in a new job for 4 months and it has been super stressful.  Don't really want to quit and be back in the job market cause I know how hard it is.  A year ago I was laid off from my job of 15 years and it took me 8 long months to get back in the saddle….as saddle soar as I am right now,

I'm really debating about going to HR.  I feel at this point that my boss has been abusive and/or has not managed situations where I have become abused.  And, the stress is eating me alive.  I've been sleepless in Seattle for the last couple of nights because of bad shoulder pain.  I know I have no injury, so my only explanation of it is that my neck and shoulders have been so knotted with stress that it's actually now having some consequences.  I also said just yesterday afternoon that I was the only one in the department who has not been out with the flu…..well guess who was stuffed up just this morning?

The body and the mind have a way of putting you on your ass when you don't take care of yourself.  I know I am heading fast in that direction.

I've played the disability card in college and it wasn't a bad thing to do.  Just not sure at this stage in my life whether it's a good thing to get back into with the current employer, since I haven't gone in that direction from the beginning.  Also don't know what consequences anything I say at this point negative about my current situation will get me, other than the satisfaction of not remaining silent about it.

Fiona

#11 Jeff91

Jeff91
  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:43 AM

No, we shouldn't have to hide it. But honestly, who would hire us if we didn't?? 

We shouldn't but we need to.