• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sares

Sares
  • Members
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Arts and crafts, some reading

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:41 AM

A therapist I went to not long ago was very helpful to me. I had seen something about HSPs before, but thought it probably didn't apply to me. However, in talking to her about it, I saw that it really rang true. The term Highly Sensitive Person has been used by Elaine Aron and other experts to describe the fifteen or twenty percent of the population who are more sensitive to things in both physical and mental ways. This term is not meant to make these people sound more special than the rest of the population, but to describe a group of people whose sensitivity is a valuable trait to themselves and others.
This was such an eye opener to me, because it helped me see so many things about myself and my history in a whole different way. It made so much sense! It enabled me to let go of lingering negative feelings I had about the ways in which I had handled various situations in my life. Instead of seeing myself as a weak person who was just faking it in life, I saw myself as having strengths that were a there, because of my sensitivity. I realized that I was just a different kind of person, not a defective person. The culture I am from (US) does not value sensitivity in people very much, but that doesn't mean it isn't a valuable trait. Anyway, knowing myself better has helped me see myself as a person of worth, so I'm sure this helps keep me emotionally healthy. This understanding has opened up a new world of things that I hadn't allowed myself to explore very much, because these things, like me, are less valued in this culture. For anyone who has this quality, it is important for them to see that it is just different, not bad, and that it has some real advantages. HSPs should know how to take care of themselves in a culture that isn't geared towards their needs. If I can figure out the blog I opened, I will write more there. I need time to think out how to explain how transforming this realization can be.

#2 Sunshineinmyface

Sunshineinmyface

Wiki Queen

• Members
  • 10,092 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:41 PM

I read a book written by a highly sensative person who became a therapist. Her book shows how the added factor of being highly sensative (physically and emotionally) adds to depression and acknowledging that alone (or learning it) took a load off me. I will try to locate the book and post it up here for anyone who is interested.....Here it is: The Highly Sensative Person: How to Thrive When the World Overwhelms You, by Elaine N. Aron, Ph.D.

Here is from the cover: do you have a keen imagination and vivid dreams? Is time alone each day as essential to you as food and water? Are you "too shy" or "too sensative" according to others? Do noise and confusion quickly overwhelm you? If you answer yes, you may be a highly sensative person.

Most of us feel overstimulated every once in a while, but for the highly sensative person, it's a why of life. Dr. Aron, a clinical psychologist, draws on her own experiences of being highly sensative and other ground breaking information to show you how to identify this trait in yourself and make the most of it in everyday situations. You will discover:
- Self-assessment tests to help you identify your particular sensitivities
- Ways to reframe your past experiences in a positive light and gain greater self-esteem in the process.
- Insight into how high sensativity affects both work and personal relationships.
- Tips on how to deal with overarousal (overstimulation).
- Information on medications and when to seek help.
- Techniques to enrich the soul and spirit.

She also has a highly sensative person's workbook out and probably more books since this one was issued in 1996. This book helped me loads and helped me to communicate things to my therapists so they would see this dimension of me.