Photo

DAOK

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Johncb

Johncb
  • Inactive
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Living<br />Breathing<br />Music<br />piano<br />Finding peace.

Posted 03 August 2007 - 03:45 AM

Tonight, Rae and I were talking when she asked me.
"Would you like to help me change the world?"
And I said "Yes."

We decided, that everyday, we will do an act of kindness. No matter how big or small. A simple wave to someone, or just telling someone everything will be okay. Things like this may seem small, but the impact on someone is rather large.

We have all seen the pain in life. And we have all been to are lows, but simple beauty like this can be seen everyday if we just tried it. If pain could subside even for a simple moment, think of how amazing it would feel. Think of how even the moment without pain, would be such a pause from it all.

We will post are acts here everyday to keep track. And if you have one, please post it.

We need small beauty like this in the world...how else would we keep the days going.

- Rae, John

Edited by Johncb, 03 August 2007 - 03:46 AM.

#2 SereneTragedy

SereneTragedy
  • Members
  • 1,973 posts
  • Interests:Singing...dancing...<br />wishing I knew how to fly....

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:41 PM

Thank you for posting this after I went to sleep, John!
My one thing is that I am going to make sure these acts are mainly to strangers. No holding the door for my sister or stuff like that. Things that can impact someone you don't know...make them smile. Sometimes, though, you don't get the chance to do something for a complete stranger, and you're not around people you don't know. And then you can do something good for anyone!
Because the point is to spread the joy!

Hugs, and blessings for a strong day.
~Rae

Edited by SereneTragedy, 26 August 2007 - 08:28 PM.

#3 CarrieSoVery

CarrieSoVery
  • Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 03:21 PM

You two are my heroes! :kiss: This is something I also practice, though it took me losing a son to make it a regular occurance :cry:

Thanks so much for doing something positive in this world...sometimes the smallest things can mean the most and one person can make a difference!

I will join you in this, but may not be able to post daily!

:bighug:

Love,
~Carrie

#4 SereneTragedy

SereneTragedy
  • Members
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 04:09 PM

I'm probably going to post at the end of the week what I did all week....that's something you can do too, Carrie, because you're here on Sundays anyway.
Hugs to you, girlie!
send a smile out to someone.... :kiss:

#5 SereneTragedy

SereneTragedy
  • Members
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:46 PM

Here's my list for so far:
Friday-picked up an entire slew of papers that an elderly man had dropped in a street.
Saturday-comforted someone's crying little kid.
Sunday- Rescued six luna moths out of the pool by jumping in even though I was wearing clothes...that way they wouldn't die and the pool manager wouldn' thave to get wet (she was in a nice outfit)
Monday-Gave a little girl a few dollars to finish buying a present for her sister.
Tuesday- Met a woman in a restuarant and used the kind words I knew she needed to hear.
Wednesday-helped a kid catch his puppy that was trying to get away
Thursday-Taught some random little kids an etymology lesson...catching bugs and butterflies and all!
Friday-gave a little girl a dollar on the boardwalk (we were dollar snatching and she tried so hard to catch it that I just let her the next time she walked by...didn't pull it away)
Saturday-was at a bookstore and gave away this awesome anthology of poetry to a guy who looked way interested.

Edited by SereneTragedy, 12 August 2007 - 03:54 AM.

#6 SereneTragedy

SereneTragedy
  • Members
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:21 AM

Sunday-Gave up my seat on a crowded trolley...several times!!
Monday-Passed on information about DAoK to someone who will use it
Tuesday-Let a family go ahead of me in line
Wednesday-Helped a new woman at dance to learn the steps
Thursday-gave my friend (and some people I didn't know....friends of my friend) a ride to marching band practice at 6 am...after two hours of sleep....
Friday-Sat next to someone who looked lonely at services
Saturday-Led a group of girls around at a garden I work at because they needed to hide things for a scavenger hunt

Edited by SereneTragedy, 19 August 2007 - 03:27 PM.

#7 listener

listener
  • Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 04:41 PM

(((((((((((SereneTragedy)))))))))))

I just discovered this thread, and I love it. Thank you for being inspirational :?:.

listener

#8 SereneTragedy

SereneTragedy
  • Members
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:20 PM

Sunday-Sent a note to someone I've only met once (I know, not a stranger, but pretty damn close....)
Monday-helped some little kids in a restaurant get utensils....it's not much, but they loved my "fork bunny ears!"
Tuesday-lent money to someone behind me in line
Wednesday-introduced myself to some new kids in youth group and sat with them at a program
Thursday-sent candygrams to random new people in youth group so they'd feel welcome
Friday-Sat next to someone on the bus home after she'd been having trouble with her seat partner
Saturday-lent my ipod to my neighbor's friend who wanted to go running.
Sunday-offered to help a couple that I just met with babysitting whenever they need it

Edited by SereneTragedy, 26 August 2007 - 08:30 PM.

#9 SereneTragedy

SereneTragedy
  • Members
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:08 PM

Monday-led some new freshman around school
Tuesday-went to my friend's chamber singer's class and sang in the group of freshman who were having thier voice parts designated that way they wouldn't be afraid to be the loudest/highest singer in the group and could reach their full potential. This was extremely hard for me because it meant standing up in front of my peers vocalizing. The chorus teacher loved it.
Wednesday-Rolled a giant (one pound) ball of yarn for someone who was having trouble rolling it and wanted it done before she knitted.
Thursday-taught new people at choir the organizing system and shared my music when people didn't have it.
Friday-reached out to someone who needed a helping hand and was there for her as much as I could
Saturday-Went to the Bar Mitzvah of a kid my dad tutors (and I helped) because dad was out of town
Sunday- helped a bunch of new people at the Renaissance festival find where they were going, even when it meant missing my show

Edited by SereneTragedy, 03 September 2007 - 12:00 AM.

#10 CarrieSoVery

CarrieSoVery
  • Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 04:38 PM

Rae, you are indeed inspirational! If everyone did as many DAOK as you, this world would be a brighter place! :)

I try to do them too, although since I don't get out much (I'm usually at home entertaining my son or vice versa! he he), most of mine seem to be online lately.

So here are mine:

On a daily basis I remember other people's lost loved ones with them. To do this I send cards and seed packets via snail mail, I send emails, comments and bulletins on myspace. I also host a photo album on my myspace page where people submit photos of their loved ones to be remembered as well as a calendar where I keep track of birth and angel dates.

I also make special picture enhancements for people with the images of their lost loved ones so they have additional treasures of them (I am still learning this skill!)

Also on a daily basis I make contact with those reaching out for a sympathetic ear or virtual hug (mostly on myspace as well).

And then there are these:

Purchased 6 teddy bears to be given to abused children

Bought yarn for a woman who knits tiny hats to donate to the NICU's of hospitals for preemies

Made 8 memory boxes to donate to hospitals for people who experience the loss of a child and will so desperately want mementos of their precious baby.

Bought someone's lunch

Bought a birthday gift for a little girl with Asperger's syndrome who lives rurally, is homeschooled and has no friends

Donted money to help purchase a headstone for a child

Donted money to someone who did fundraiser walks for Stillbirth and Alzheimer's

Donted money to help build a playground in memory of a child

Am currently helping someone grow her business by helping with website and promotion

Am collecting box tops to make a (hopefully) generous donation in the form of a RAOK for a local elementary school on what would have been Pax's 2nd birthday on Oct. 27.

That seems like so few when written down...but I really do reach out to people on a daily basis! I suppose one can always do more! :)

Until next time...

Love & hugs,
~Carrie

#11 SereneTragedy

SereneTragedy
  • Members
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:58 PM

Carrie-
I want to be like you....you have so much vision.

#12 SereneTragedy

SereneTragedy
  • Members
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:24 PM

Monday-watched a woman's dog while she went into a no-pets-allowed cafe.
Tuesday-taught a few freshman how to read choral music....
Wednesday-helped in several classrooms, staying an hour after my internship ended so that I could make sure all of the teachers were situated.
Thursday-Gave a few people rides home after the auditions...going pretty far out of my way to do so.
Friday-Waiting tables for a fancy birthday party
Saturday- helped distribute and light candles at services
Sunday- helped a woman who'd fallen in the street.

Edited by SereneTragedy, 10 September 2007 - 11:03 PM.

#13 SereneTragedy

SereneTragedy
  • Members
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 11:04 PM

Monday-tutored some kids in ASL at lunch
Tuesday-talked with one of my coworkers who was upset over something.
Wednesday-took someone I have been meaning to get to know better out to lunch.
Thursday-Wished a bunch of people I didn't know a good new year and participated very last minute (as in, half an hour before) in two plays for the synagogue.
Friday-bought lunch for a few of my friends and my sister because I didn't have internship.
Saturday-brushed the woodchips off some little kid's fruity ice thing at the Renaissance festival because he dropped it and his brother wouldn't help him.
Sunday-Wrote random thank you notes to people I've only met once.

Edited by SereneTragedy, 16 September 2007 - 07:39 PM.

#14 kewy13

kewy13
  • Members
  • 3,119 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:used to be hiking, packing, skiing, anything outdoors. am woking back toward that as i get healthier.

i attend buddhist meditation at a temple nearby.

yoga, bicycling, kayaking, camping, exfoliating, making jewelry, being outdoors.

Posted 12 September 2007 - 01:26 AM

today when i got to work today i didnt have any massage apts. so one of my colleagues bought a 30 min treatment. i gave her 45 minutes.

whenever i wasnt helping in other departments to keep busy, i massaged co-workers necks & shoulders while they were on breaks.

i was in pain today, but it made my day a little more lovely as well as theirs. :P :P :P

#15 SereneTragedy

SereneTragedy
  • Members
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:40 PM

Monday-Helped a bunch of new kids prepare for their audtions for the a capella group
Tuesday-Was very nice to someone who has never deserved it in the past.
Wednesday-took a last minute babysitting job to help someone out who really needed it.
Thursday-Befriended someone who needed me
Friday-taught myself and then two freshman some choreography for the school show during class when the teacher needed a quick choreographer
Saturday-comforted some women I didn't know who were crying during the memorial service for Yom Kippur (of course...I cried too)
Sunday-invited neighbors in to decorate our sukkah

Edited by SereneTragedy, 23 September 2007 - 07:20 PM.

#16 SereneTragedy

SereneTragedy
  • Members
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 05:30 PM

Monday-spent a lot of time allowing someone to vent.
Tuesday-helped choir member's kids with their homework
Wednesday- let several cars out of a driveway onto the road I was on because it's an awkward spot to get out of that could take a long time.
Thursday- befriended an intimidated interpreter before yoga class
Friday-offered to chauffer a freshamn for a week while her parents are in England and she is staying with her grandmother who does not drive.
Saturday- Couldn't leave the house....so I thought of all of you when I was lost.....DAOK to myself, I guess....
Sunday- Lent out my music to all of the sopranos so that they could all see where to highlight and sang the entire rehearsal from memory....

Edited by SereneTragedy, 01 October 2007 - 12:29 AM.

#17 SereneTragedy

SereneTragedy
  • Members
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:00 PM

Monday-drove to voice lessons, even though it wasn't my week.
Tuesday- Sat by the door of the synagogue and let people in for choir rehearsal
Wednesday- Drove J. to dance and rehearsal
Thursday-Helped a few people edit essays
Friday-Opened our house to neighbors for Sukkot (I purposely invited some people to whom the invitation would mean a lot)
Saturday-Did the right thing in a bad situation.
Sunday-helped the very odd art teacher carry her supplies from room to room at the Sunday school where I work

Edited by SereneTragedy, 08 October 2007 - 12:49 AM.

#18 SereneTragedy

SereneTragedy
  • Members
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:25 PM

Monday-Helped a group of people learn the sign language homework
Tuesday-offered to drive my friend a very long distance (and lie about it) for something that's important to her.
Wednesday-got into a bit of a tussle for deaf rights at internship...actually got permission to sign in the school!!!!!!!
Thursday-Said the right things to a group of people who needed to hear it
Friday-called a cab for someone who was way lost
Saturday-watched out for a girl my friend knew who was being pressured by her boyfriend at homecoming
Sunday-Helped in a 7th grade classroom leading a group.

Edited by SereneTragedy, 22 October 2007 - 11:56 PM.

#19 SereneTragedy

SereneTragedy
  • Members
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:00 AM

Monday-Complimented EVERYONE!
Tuesday-reached out for a friend in need
Wednesday-Adjusted my schedule DRASTICALLY for someone who needed it in a bad way.
Thursday-flew up to my friend's for her birthday
Friday-filmed some movies for my friends.
Saturday-Helped some little kids out of the corn maze (took a while)
Sunday-Talked to someone on the airplane who had a lot she needed to say

#20 SereneTragedy

SereneTragedy
  • Members
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:05 PM

Monday-Stopped even as I was running late to say hello to someone who was not feeling well
Tuesday-Stayed on the phone with my friend's mom as long as she needed.
Wednesday-made someone laugh.
Thursday-saved a life of someone I love....I hope.
Friday-filled in at the end of the prescshool day and got all of the kids settled down for the teachers
Saturday-Folded an entire stack of programs during rehearsal
Sunday-took an emergency substitute position teaching (blech) 7th grade

Edited by SereneTragedy, 29 October 2007 - 04:37 PM.