weed

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 harvy48

harvy48
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 06:52 PM

does any one have comments on weed for depression. In my country they perscibe it for cancer patients , glucoma,and others but i don't know if they do for D.

It helps my mood lift, when i use it (once a month} but Im not sure what the chemical explanation is. Alcohol which i use does not help at all when i an in the black hole.

#2 carebear

carebear
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 08:53 PM

My dh says it helps his depression also. There is some research going on using a synthetic form of THC that is showing some promising results for depression. We'll just have to wait and see. Maybe this disease will be another one that prescribed marijuana will be helpful for.

#3 highandlow

highandlow
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 04:55 AM

Dear Carebear,

Please let me know who is offering the clinical trials for this new THC type of drug to treat Depression. Thank you for your help.

#4 frazz911

frazz911
  • Members
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:My Family, Women and Childrens' rights, computers, making new friends, and always THE PACKERS!!!!

Posted 16 January 2006 - 02:12 PM

(((harvy)))

Well I am a daily smoker, have been for years now. I guess I spent most of my adult life self medicating. Yes it works, at least it does with me, but it does not come without some problems.

After years of smoking, I can have weeks were I go threw what I get real fast. I don't know if it has to do with the level of my depression or the level of my boredom. When I am out or have a day when I don't have time to smoke, I can get real short. My moods change fast and I have been know to get upset with people over some of the stupidest stuff. I also find that if I am in a depression and I run out, it will make the depression even worst. I also find that when I am having bad anxiety it can make that worst.

I started smoking regularly years ago, I guess it is like 17 now. I hurt my back in a car wreck and had been threw a lot of pain meds, and meds to help me sleep. I live with back pain everyday of my life. A doctor I was seeing at the time suggested it to me. He said if he could prescribe it he would. I tried and found that it took away the stiffness and took the pain down to a livable level. And the best part of it all I could still function. I could take care of my kids and still do the hose work. I found my miracle.

After three years of physic meds I found the same thing. I have less side effects with the pot then I do the meds. On physic meds I took to my bed, it took me hours to come out of the fog and some days I never got out of it.

Now please don't get me wrong. I am not telling anyone to go out and get some. I don't want to have anyone becoming an addict because of something I said. I just know from watching me and a few friends I know it does work for some people. I also have friends who have mental health issues who can not touch the stuff. I find that it is like many of the other things they use to treat those of us who suffer. The same things do not work for everyone.

This is not going to be some magic cure if they find that it does work. I will just be another tool in the fight.

Just my :2cents:...
Frazz

#5 carebear

carebear
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:55 AM

Do a search on Marinol and see what you come up with. It certainly sounds interesting.

#6 romanoff

romanoff
  • Members
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:current events, politics, history, philosophy, science, baseball, Rock & Roll.

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:44 PM

I find that it usually relaxes me and improves my mood. I'm just a 2-tokes-on-Saturday-night smoker; it affects me strongly and I can't do much else for the rest of the day after smoking. It also suppresses craving for alcohol, at least for a little while. Some have an abuse problem with it, but most don't, I think.

Let's get real about one thing, though - pot of decent quality is just about universally available with little risk; it isn't the same as other illegal drugs that way. So, legal drugs containing THC aren't strictly necessary, and may not work as well anyway.

In my country they prescribe it for ... glaucoma ...

I have glaucoma, but a very mild case. It's only helpful in severe cases where pain needs to be relieved. It definitely does not improve your vision! :P

#7 Unless

Unless
  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 05:03 AM

To tell the truth, weed had the same effect on me that other medications have as well. But its not something I do regularly (in fact, havent for years upon years) just because...well, it is still illegal here and I dont want to get caught.
(I am actually for regulated legalization of weed though)

#8 kentrocker

kentrocker
  • Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:41 PM

I do not do weed a lot but i have done in the past my last time was 4 months ago.
I believe that it helps me as i get so worked up and low and worried when i get down and have anxiety that
for me weed relaxes me calms me down and makes my worry go away.

It makes me not care any more by this i mean i stop caring about the hard times and i can take things as they come.

my gp wants me to start meds like Citalopram and valium until the citalpram ( i think thats what it is its either that or celexa) but the truth is i am too scared to take those kind of meds all i have ever felt safe and happy is taking natural things i worry about the side effects of meds but i do not worry about the side effects of weed i the only side effect which i wouldn't really call a side effect was feeling sleeping and having heart burn.

I am seriously considering using it to help me until i am strong enough to cope with things again.

#9 BubbleGonePop

BubbleGonePop
  • Members
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:44 PM

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to know what people think about it now?

#10 Avalanche

Avalanche
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:
  • Interests:Gardening, travel, Geek enjoyments, photography, music, animals, science, history

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:35 PM

I know this is a really old post but thought I would throw my 2 cents in since I do use cannabis on a daily basis.  First, a lot of people don't realize that there are so many strains of cannabis out there but there are 3 groups - Indica, Sativa and Hybrids.  I personally prefer a Sativa or Sativa dominant hybrid.  For me it helps my depression on a number of fronts - after I smoke I really can only focus on one train of thought but I focus on it intently and use this time to organize, plan, create and overall just allow my creative side to have free reign without the "what-if's" always throwing their opinion in.  I find that I am kinder to myself.  Also, it does make me VERY aware of anything that is out of place which causes me to want to clean and make my home a place of tranquility.  Because I am focusing on whatever I choose to think about I can just allow my body to do all the heavy lifting without the small voice that usually pipes up about being bored or that it is too hot or whatever other excuse it likes to come up with.  Before I know it I will look up and am still shocked at how much I have accomplished which in turn makes me feel successful - at least in one area.  Indica is great if you have issues sleeping but I don't get much done on it.  Here is my word of warning.  There are times if I am dealing with a particular bad bout of depression that it can and will make it worse.  The depression will take over the focus and pick apart everything which spirals me lower.  That happens rarely but it does happen.  I do still take anti-depressants but I am very thankful that I live in a state where pot is legal.  I tried it for the first time 3 years ago and I am so glad I did.